Skip to main content

My Friendly Strangers| Phil Yoho

This is my story about the many strangers that I meet on almost a daily basis. These people may be alone or consist of a mixed group of male and female adults. Too, there are sometimes children involved, but not very often. Our meetings are always outside as they occur the South Park Dog Park, near my home. Of course, weather is the reason that I am unable to make the visit there each day.

It’s a given that I have a partner to meet and greet people with. My pooch, Copper, is now about five years old and loves people, especially women. Our trip to the park takes only ten minutes and Copper is usually whining and jumping to exit the car. The fun starts once we are parked near the gazebo, where people usually congregate. Typically, there are many cars parked side-by-side with many strangers preparing to walk with their pets. Not every stranger is exiting with a pet, as some people are ready for a walk alone or with a companion. Copper though, will often spot a strange pooch and head for him or her for a meeting. I am always cautious, as this could turn into a rout or could become love at first “bite!” 

Usually, I will take turns on the walk trail that we proceed, either down the slope in one direction or up in the other. Most often, I am wearing an Army cap that makes me easy to recognize after several years of walking the park trails. Many people walking it daily, identify me as a teller of puns. With Copper now on a tight leash, I then proceed down the trail to meet the strangers of the day. We usually will encounter a lady or ladies together, as many walk there almost daily. Copper loves to stop and lick ladies while they pet and talk lovingly to him. Sure enough, two of them are walking their pet Dachshund toward us as Copper goes into action with them. The ladies enjoyed my pun, “Why did the cowboy buy a Dachshund?” The answer, “To get along little doggie!” They laughed heartedly as Copper licks their pet goodbye. 

Next coming our way is a man pulling his big Golden Doodle on a long leash. Often, they are off the trail and he is screaming commands to keep away from people, pets, and especially squirrels. He will usually say to me, “I was in the Army too and almost died in Korea!” I then explain that I was in no war and helped to develop the Teleprompter at a nearby fort in the US. He then nods and bends down to give Copper some treats out of his pocket. 

Continuing around the trail bend, Copper starts to whine, as he spots Darby, one of his favorite friends. They then whirl about, sniffing each other and would love to be loose to run the park. Copper and Darby are not strangers to each other. Darby’s owner and I do some small talk, usually about dog breeds and those that are similar enough to be cousins to our pets. 

By this time, many more strangers are visible on the trail and heading toward us. I spot a young blonde-haired lady pushing a baby carriage with two small children walking along with her. I will then stop to let her kids pet Copper a bit. Often, I will tell her, “On a scale of 1 to 10, your kids are a 29!” She thanks me for saying that. 

I have learned that women appear to appreciate humor more than men do. An example is our next encounter on the trail. A middle-aged guy is wearing a baseball cap with the attached letter “P” for Pirate. I will ask, “What did the Pirate say when he turned 80 years of age?” There is a grunt and a shoulder shrug and maybe a, “I don’t know.” I then reply, “Aye Matey!” (I’m eighty) I have gotten a few snickers from other men wearing a cap with the “P.” 

Typically, about three quarters through our journey, we will meet my favorite strangers, but a definite foe for Copper. An elderly, good-looking man and lady, suspect a married couple, approach is with their pet Schnauzer they call Boomer. 

Right away, Boomer began yapping at us until his master made him sit and be quiet. I opened our first meeting by commenting on the man’s orange jackets that he wears. I simply commented, “Orange you pleased that you have such a nice jacket?” They both laughed and she remarked that I have a reputation at the park for telling jokes. Further, that she believed that she once saw me at a Giant Eagle, telling a joke to a clerk*. Then I punished them after that with a couple puns. 

What do you call a detective that can solve cases by accident?” The answer, “Sheer luck Holmes!” Another, “What do you call an Army of toddlers?” Answer, “Infantry”. Finally, “What do you call a woman who sets her past-due bills on fire?” Answer, “Bernadette.” (Burn a debt)  

I do believe that they laughed to be polite and said they hoped to see me again at this same “Bat Station at the same Bat Time!” 

After leaving them, we soon headed for the car and Copper gained yet another treat along the way. Our mission for the day was accomplished and we headed home. We would rest up for another day at the park to visit strangers. Who knows, I may expire soon as a result of a-pun-demic! Meanwhile, Copper and I will continue to receive snarls at the park, but know that we will continue to meet many friendly strangers. 

 

  • I am known to give the following reply to, “How are you?”: “I am as well as can be expected under the given set of circumstances presented to me and fundamentally, I hope to accomplish my daily chores, whatever the heck they may be!” (Not in the park, could be a turnoff.)


  • Copyright, Phil Yoho, April 12, 2022. 
    Unauthorized use or copying is strictly prohibited without the authors written permission.

Popular posts from this blog

Is The Third Time A Charm | By Joyce Carles

Drinking orange flavored Fanta, I really didn't want to be here. The last two vacations with my family had been to the same country. It was my fault. My sister-in law, Kathy, had called me about going on a cruise. I was excited as there were a few places I'd never seen before. When we spoke again she said her sons and their wives wanted to do a family vacation and one had suggested another cruise that stopped in Panama. I had finished a book on building the Panama Canal, so I was in. The next few phone calls included different itinerary, after the last call I said, "Work it out, you don't have to call. Make the arrangements and tell me where I'm going." I'm not sailing in the Caribbean, not sailing at all, I'm in Mexico for the third year in a row with my family; just a different resort. I'd already tried doing the tour of Chichen Itza and Tulum on two other years so my nephew surprised me by suggesting 'The Jungle Tour'. I immediately said

A Little Thing Can Mean So Much | By E. J. Beck

Bert didn't celebrate Christmas anymore. It wasn't that he disliked Christmas; it was just that he didn't have anyone to celebrate it with, so why bother? He went to dinner with relatives and participated in the family gatherings, but he didn't decorate the house, didn't put out any decorations, didn't put up a tree; Christmas was just another day. It hadn't always been like this. He used to have his family around him, and they always had a very nice Christmas. Bert, his wife, and their children had always decorated the house, put out seasonal lawn ornaments, and a large Christmas tree, brightly decorated with many ornaments, some store bought, but also many home-made by family members over the years. There were some of these that had survived for several generations; each being carefully wrapped and put away after the season. Away but not forgotten, and they would be unwrapped and put on the tree the next year. Each brought back a particular memory about th